I have gained a wide variety of teaching experience over the last seven years at the Australian National University covering a very broad spectrum of the earth sciences in a variety of roles and settings, both in the classroom and the field. Recent highlights include receiving the KSW Campbell Award for Outstanding Teaching Contribution to RSES (2016), a nomination for an ANU Colleges of Science Early Career Award for Teaching Excellence (2016) and obtaining a Fellowship of the Higher Education Academy (FHEA – 2017). In Fall 2017 I began teaching in the Boone Pickens School of Geology, Oklahoma State University. as a Teaching Assistant Professor, with a focus on igneous and metamorphic petrology, introductory geology and field geology, as well as hard-rock elective courses.
Current Teaching Commitments (OSU)
- Field Geology (GEOL3456) – Instructor – Summer 2018
- Mineralogy (GEOL2254) – Instructor – Fall 2017, 2018
- Physical Geology (GEOL1114) – Instructor (Fall 2017, Fall 2018) & Lab Coordinator (Fall 2017 onwards)
- Earth Resources – Honors (HON1000) – Instructor – Spring 2018
- Igneous and Metamorphic Petrology (GEOL2364) – Instructor – Spring 2018
- Volcanology (GEOL4753/5753) – Instructor – Spring 2018
- Exploring Earth: An Introduction to Geology (GEOL1013) – Lab Coordinator (Fall 2018 onwards)
- Marine Geology (GEOL4513/5513) – Co-Instructor – Spring 2018
- Economic Geology (GEOL4673) – TBC
- Geology & Human Affairs (GEOL1014) – Lab Coordinator (Fall 2017- Spring 2018)
Recent Teaching Commitments (All at ANU)
- The Blue Planet: An Introduction to Earth Systems Science (EMSC1006/6107) – Convenor (2017), Teaching Fellow (2015, 16), Demonstrator (2010, 11, 14). Introductory undergraduate/graduate course in earth system science. This year I am coordinating this course and teaching in a variety of topics including the hydrosphere, oceans, geosphere and cycles, as well as coordinating the field trip to Cavan, NSW. Over the last few years I have been part of the team delivering this course, with a focus on the workshops (a hybrid of lectures and tutorials) and the laboratories, as well as supervising the graduate student demonstrators. Student satisfcation for my teaching was 80% in 2015, rising to 92% in 2016..
- Rocks and Minerals (EMSC2017) – Lecturer (2014, 16, 17), Laboratory Instructor (2015), Demonstrator (2012, 13). Intermediate course in igneous and metamorphic petrology. In 2017 I will be teaching the ultramafic and extrusive mafic rock sections of the course. Over the last five years I have developed and delivered a wide range of lectures and laboratories for the course, including teaching optical mineralogy, phase diagrams and using geochemical data. Student satisfaction for my teaching was 90% in 2015.
- Groundwater (EMSC3025/6025) – Convenor and Lecturer (2015, 16). Advanced undergraduate/graduate course focusing on the principles and applications of groundwater science, both physical (hydrogeology) and chemical (hydrogeochemistry). In 2015 we developed two new field trips for this course, which were presented at the 2016 AUGEN Meeting in Canberra. Student satisfaction with my teaching in both 2015 and 2016 was 100%.
- Magmatism and Metamorphism (EMSC3024/6024) – Co-convenor and lecturer (2016). Advanced undergraduate/graduate course in igneous and metamorphic petrology, including tectonic relationships. For this course I developed and delivered a variety of modules on igneous petrology, including lectures and laboratory classes, as well developing the course syllabus, outline and assessment program. Student evaluation score for my teaching was 4.8/5 in 2016.
- Advanced Geochemistry, Petrology and Tectonics (EMSC8021) – Lecturer (2016). Graduate course in which I delivered a lecture and laboratory on mantle xenoliths, with a focus on thermobarometry.